MMO’s need more tanks, who’ll answer the call!?
Ok so the title is a little dramatic, but anyone who plays Massively Multiplayer Role Playing Games (MMORPGs) will understand. So I’m going to try and make a case as to why tanking is the most fun you can have with your thick armour on!
What is a tank?
So I’m going to start this as if I’m talking to someone who’s never played an MMO before. (Maybe you haven’t, in which case prepare to learn something). Tanks in MMO’s are stalwart defenders of your party. Their job is make sure that the rest of the party aren’t taking damage from the various dangers you’ll find in an MMO dungeon or raid. To do this they make sure the focus is on them all the time. Their use of heavier, thicker armour along with their amazing stamina allow them to take more punishment.
What puts people off tanking?
There’s a lot of reasons why alot of people are put off from playing tanks. Tanking can be a very difficult and sometimes demanding job. During raids a lot of things can happen at once. It carries a lot of responsibility with it and most of the time you will be expected to lead the party. That coupled with the anxiety that can come from feeling like you’re going to be blamed when things go wrong. You really need to develop a thick skin to play the role. These are just a few reasons and obviously it’s different for every individual. Let’s look at the reasons why you should give tanking a go!
So why should you give tanking a go?
- Tanking can be very rewarding when things go right. It’s a great feeling having defeated a boss encounter and managed all the mechanics while keeping the bosses attention.
- It’s pretty badass that your main job in the game is to run up to huge monsters with nothing but a sword and shield, or a mighty axe and cuss him out into attacking you! Then sit laughing while he wails on you.
- You’re the one in control of the battle. The enemies attention is all focused on you, so positioning is very important to most encounters, all other jobs are just along for the ride.
- You’re really a closet masochist…
- You’re not a squishy mage so you can get away sometimes with not doing a mechanic by accident (Just don’t make a habit of it).
- Those insta-queue’s are pretty awesome!
- You either look like a smart soldier/knight or a bezerking badass!
So these are just a few reasons as to why you should play as a tank. In general tanking is fun and not always about salty parties and people throwing blame around. If you take the time to learn the role you’ll make a valuable asset to any team. We always need more tanks in MMO’s, DPS are a dime a dozen and anyone can do it. Tanking requires you to play to the best of your abilities in a lot of situations.
Tell me in the comments what made you choose the life of a tank and why you’d recommend is to others starting in the world of MMO’s
Special thanks to everyone on the Final Fantasy XIV facebook page for letting me know why they enjoy playing a tank!